This recipe is another one that is perfect for Meatless Mondays! The carmelized mushrooms in this recipe develop so much flavor that I promise you won’t miss the meat! I love making this dish on busy weeknights because it comes together in flash and I love eating the leftovers the next day. You can use your favorite pasta , I love using wheat penne and occasionally use Trader Joe’s Red Lentil Pasta for a super low carb option. This recipe doesn’t utilize sour cream like most straggnoff recipes, it utilizes yogurt! The yogurt in this dish makes it creamy and is a lot healthier than putting sour cream. I like to only use half a pound of pasta because I like to have an equal portion of veggies to pasta whenever I eat pasta. This recipe is a must try healthy pasta recipe!
Servings Size: 4 Servings
-16 oz of mushrooms (any mushrooms of your choice are fine)
-1/2 lb of your favorite pasta
-1 diced yellow onion
-2 tsp of minced garlic
-2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
-2 tsp of salt
-1 tsp of black pepper
-1 tsp of red chili powder
-1 tsp of dried italian seasoning
-2 cups of broth ( mushroom, beef , chicken or veggie)
-1 cup of yogurt
1). Cook 1/2 a pound of pasta in boiling, salted water and drained after cooking it according to the packets directions and place aside.
2) In a medium large pan, add in some olive oil and your diced onion and cook this on medium high heat.
3) Once your onions have softened, add in the following: salt, minced garlic, black pepper, red chili powder, and Italian seasoning.
4) After 2 minutes, add in your roughly chopped mushrooms and balsamic vinegar.
5) Place a lid on your pot and let this cook for about 5 minutes, stirring ocasionally.
6) After 5 minutes, take off the lid, you’ll notice that your mushrooms will have softened. Cook this for about 5 more minutes, allowing your mushrooms to develope a good sear.
7) Add in your broth and turn the flame to medium. Allow your sauce to simmer for about 8 minutes. You’ll want to cook this until your sauce thickens significantly.
8) After 5 minutes, turn the flame to low and add in your yogurt. You’ll want to add in a little at a time so that your yogurt won’t curdle. Once you add in a little bit, mix until fully incorporated and then repeat.
9) Once you have mixed in all of your yourt, you’ll want to keep this on the stove for another 5 minutes. At this point taste your sauce for seasoning and add in more of the mentioned above seasonings to taste.
10) Mix your pasta with your sauce and enjoy!