This year our plum tree was overflowing with deliciously, ripe fruit. I decided to make this plum crisp and it was a hit! This recipe is wonderfully sweet, tangy and the perfect summer dessert! The plums are cooked to perfection and the oat topping just transforms these plums into a decadent dessert. I love pairing this with some vanilla ice cream. Definitely give this one a try this weekend!
- 6 cups of pitted plums (about 3 pounds)
- 2 1/1 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of corn starch
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 cups of oats
- 6 tsp of butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
1). Place your pitted plum, cut in 6 parts in a large bowl. Add in 2 cups of sugar and let this sit on your counter top for 30 minutes to an hour. This step is important and makes the plum more flavorful!
2) After allowing your plums to marinate, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3). Strain your plum and sugar mixture, you’ll notice that it will have gotten super liquidy at this point.
4) After straining your mixture, add in your lemon juice and corn starch and stir. Place this mixture in an oven safe dish.
5) Combine 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 2 cups of oats, 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and room temperature butter in a bowl and mix. You’ll want to use your hands here and press your fingers together with the mixture in order to combine the butter with the mixture. You can definitely used melted butter here, but I like using room temperature because it makes parts of the mixture clump together.
6) Sprinkle your oat topping on top of the plum mixture and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
7) After 40 minutes, take out your crisp and allow it to cool for 20 minutes before digging in. The waiting is the hardest part for this recipe!