If you never have had Turnip Curry or Shalgaam ka salaan then you have been missing out! It is a perfect busy weeknight dish because it is so easy and comes together so fast. I would say that the most effort required for this dish is prepping the turnip (peeling and chopping). My version is definitely healthier than most so it is perfect for those individuals that are trying to eat healthy. This recipe is you for if you’re trying to incorporate more vegetables in your diet! Turnips are lower in calories compared to potatoes and are a great low-carb option. One medium turnip only has 5.8 net carbs! This is a perfect Keto recipe. Pair this with some cauliflower rice to keep it Keto or pair it with some yummy homemade rothi and enjoy 🙂
-3 medium sized turnips (peeled and chopped into 1 inch squares)
-3 tsp of oil
-1/2 tsp of salt
-1/2 tsp of red chili powder
-A pinch of Turmeric / 1/4 tsp of Turmeric
-1 tsp of brown sugar/ Stevia (if you want to keep this Keto)
-1 cup of water
-1/3 bunch of cilantro
1)To a small pan, add your cubed and peeled turnips along with the oil and all of the seasonings.
2) Cook this on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) After 5 minutes, dump half of your water (1/2 cup) into the pan and place the lid on top and let is cook for 10 minutes.
4) After 10 minutes, add in the rest of the water (1/2 cup) into the pan. You’ll notice at this point that the turnips will have softened and started to change to color. You’ll want to change the heat to low-medium at this stage in the cooking progress.
5) Cook for another 5 minutes, with a lid covering your pan.
6) After 5 minutes, you’ll see that your turnips will have broken down and will be a mashable consistency . Using a wooden spoon, mash some of the turnip mixture. You’ll want to mash about 50% of the curry.
7) After mashing, add in your chopped cilantro and don’t be shy! The cilantro in this curry is not for garnish, it’s fresh flavor compliments the earthiness and sweetness of the turnip.